Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Sorry, it looks like you're involved.

Since nothing was really going on this week in the news other than the hurricane which seems to have passed without too much damage I had planned on declaring this week Animal Blogging Week and posting nothing but pictures of critters that I've run across or own.

The week sort of got away from me but nevertheless I'm going to spend today and the next couple of days doing just that. We'll start with the weird varieties of creatures we saw this last weekend at the Kumoricon.

(In order to get the flavor of this thing you should start the video below. You don't have to watch it, just play the music. This song was played non-stop from boom boxes everywhere you went at this convention.)




We had a really long wait in line. REALLY long. I checked their attendance numbers afterwords and in the five years they've been doing this it's grown from roughly 1,000 people to around 3,500 attendees last year. There were over 10,000 people at this thing. The hotel freaked out.


All the people in line had a mini-scare after about three hours in line when organizers announced the hotel wouldn't let anyone else in. There was talk of a riot. You haven't lived until you've watched a woman in a pink Princess Peach gown throw down a string of obscenities that would make Dick Cheney blush. I think she was the one that ultimately got them to change their minds.


It's hard to see but Batman's Harley Quinn was watching us from that balcony. Creepy.


Not sure what Davey Jones has to do with Anime but this costume was impressive.

Swag. Lots of it.


I was pleasantly surprised to find out artist Phil Foglio was there. Anybody that read the Dragon magazine when they were kids knows who he is. I thanked him for all the "chuckles" as a boy.


Found him!


I'd like to know how they eat out of those costumes.


Harley again.


Clone trooper robs Red Bull mini cooper. Mmmm Red Bull.


Yoshi and some other guy.


"Red Rover, Red Rover send Pikachu right over!"



Dancing the Carmelldansen.

6 comments:

ladybug said...

That is too hilarius...they'll probably need to re-think the next one...prolly drooling over all the $$ they can make offa these kids...

Hey the green dude looked kinda cute-might be good for my 7 yr itch...iffya know what I mean! Har Har!

mwb said...

Sweet, looks fun. Few things are better than geeky con photos!

Don Snabulus said...

The music gives me an uncontrollable urge to eat box after box of strawberry Pocky. You don't want to see the aftermath of that.

Randal Graves said...

Oh yeah, old school Dragon.

You know, I like some anime - thinking of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun and the like - but dude, stuff like, and including, that song are blights upon humanity. The fact that you aren't having nightmares about its sound waves coming to life to crush your soul is a blessing of the most secular order.

Dean Wormer said...

ladybug-

I'll see if I can set you up. I'll have him bring the costume.

mwb-

The only thing better is if I'd gotten picks of the guys playing Magic.

don-

Mmmmm. Pocky.

randal-

I have to disagree. Normally I wouldn't dig a song like that but in the context of that setting it just seemed... right.

I mentioned how happy everyone was in the last post. It was sort of like an Anime "It's a Small World" with that song.

ThoughtCriminal said...

Not there. Oh well. I guess I'm doomed to drift through space forever with hardly any swag!