Monday, May 12, 2008

What we were after now was the old surprise visit.


Canvassed for Obama with my oldest daughter this weekend.

We live in a moderately rural Oregon town of about 7,000 people. Roughly 15 minutes East of us is a city of 100,000 people. However if you head West up the mountain it's pretty much the boonies; farms, horse ranches and lots of single wides with trash on the lawn.

We drew a walking list a little West of town. Although there's lots of Obama support in that direction we did pass this sign that had been defaced on our way out.


I assume it was just kids but it's disconcerting just the same.

Canvassing works a little differently in Oregon because of vote by mail. What savvy campaigns try to do is identify their supporters and then make sure they get their ballots in. We can actually collect ballots while hitting these targeted voters. This is the biggest thing I don't like about vote by mail, btw.

It went pretty well overall. We had some healthy discussions with supporters of senator Clinton and senator Obama alike. The only bad exchange was with a guy that was pissed off we were bugging him about politics at all. Nobody forced you to register to vote and your certainly weren't forced to register as a Democrat, jerk.

I was so proud of my daughter. She had been up all night at an 8th grade graduation dance/ karaoke/ party thingy run by her school and I had offered to let her stay home and sleep but she really wanted to do this. She basically collapsed when we got home.

It also gave us a bunch of time to talk about the campaign and I did a lot of of listening. One of the things that impresses me about my daughter's view of politics is how mature it is. She realizes politicians aren't perfect. She brought up the fact that Obama himself mentions that fact repeatedly. She doesn't expect Obama is going to get elected and fix everything magically.

The other thing that repeatedly impresses me about her is that even though she's grown up in this rural town which is sorely lacking in diversity, she still has her head on right when it comes to this stuff. Most of her friends support McCain.

I'm so proud of her.

11 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Yeah, I am proud of her too. Way to go you cool peoples!

I just found out two right-wing Hillary haters I know switched parties to vote for her over Obama (likely at Rush Limbaugh's prompting). Kinda makes me wish I would have party switched (from No Party), but I didn't want to be disingenuous even though I've spoken in the past about changing parties.

I think Obama will win handily here anyway.

Overdroid said...

Go Callie!

And Don, if the shoe was on the other foot, do you think Democrats would behave like that? Maybe they would, but I suspect not. Of course we don't have a Rush Limbaugh on our side. Although we have some good Limbaughs.

Randal Graves said...

I don't know how anyone can canvas simply from the danger of encountering lunatics that you'd end up wanting to slug in the mouth.

Don't sweat the terrorist guy. I'm sure he'll die in the invasion of Iran. Or in a basement meth lab. ;-)

Dean Wormer said...

don-

Man, that sucks. Along those lines that's sort of why I'm against the open primary thing that's currently floating.

I don't have a problem with it in theory but in practice it appears that voting- much like firearms ownership- can be screwed up by a few knuckleheads with bad intentions.

Those Limbaugh jerks are perfect examples.

OD-

Shhhh. You're ruining my pseudo-anonymity. :)

There are good Limbaughs. Unfortunately Jabba and that David asshole get all the press.

randal-

Out of all the things you one can do to help out a campaign canvassing is the one I absolutely hate for just the reason you mention. Even targeted lists like the one we were using can be screwy.

As for the "terrorist" guy I'm not to worried about him. He's obviously the one that's scared.

Life As I Know It Now said...

Let me try this again as blogger ate my last comment: At least you are willing to go out and try to make a difference. I admire that.

And as for neocons voting for Clinton goes, even if 10% of those bozos do that to try to screw things up I doubt if it makes any difference. The point is more people, lots and lots more people, are turning to the democratic party and are abandoning the republicans. which is as it should be ;)

BAC said...

Dean Wormer I guess your daughter has her "head on right" because of the example you have provided. My mother was very active in politics, which is where I think I get it. And even though she worked for the Republican party in our town, and I was a Democrat from the start, she still encouraged me to be engaged -- which is to me a sign of a good parent.


BAC

Dr. Zaius said...

What?!? I thought that Obama was going to fix everything magically when he gets elected! Crap.

Maybe if he spoke Nadsat...

Dean Wormer said...

Liberality-

Thank you. I read on your blog that you canvassed for Clinton recently. Back at you as far as the admiration. Besides making trying to make things better it also means we get to complain louder when politicians don't do what they say they were going to do.

And as for neocons voting for Clinton goes, even if 10% of those bozos do that to try to screw things up I doubt if it makes any difference.

I agree 100%. I think most of what Limbaugh is doing is head games. We shouldn't play along.

What I'm disgusted with is those that are willing to play games with their votes. I'm pretty sure the founders would be ashamed of that sort of junk.

BAC-

Thank you regarding comment about my daughter. I continue to be blown away at what a fine young woman she's turning into.

My mother was very active in politics, which is where I think I get it. And even though she worked for the Republican party in our town, and I was a Democrat from the start, she still encouraged me to be engaged -- which is to me a sign of a good parent.

That is the coolest story. She sounds like a great woman.

zaius-

I guffed my guttiwuts out when I loveted your choodessny veshch.

Horrorshow neezhnies!

Swinebread said...

You should be very proud of your daughter, that she's a thinking person at her age when most kids are just screwing off. Bravo to bad you had something important to do than go to the ECCC

Dean Wormer said...

Again- I'm so sorry we weren't able to make it. Judging by your first post it looks like we missed a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the actors.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Good for both of you! Way to be a part of the process.