Thursday, March 13, 2008

If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep.

Like much of the progressive side of the web I don't hold out much hope that congress will hold firm in the face of a tantrum by President Veruca Salt screaming for retroactive immunity for telecoms. Having said that; one of the things that strikes me as more than a little odd about the current situation is that the House is currently the voice of reason while the Senate has become a rubber-stamp for the passions of the moment.

Isn't this the diametrically opposed to the framer's intentions with our two great legislative bodies?

5 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Proof of Washington's toxicity and that the inmates really are running the asylum.

And dammit, how much I love those flicks.

Let's dig up Lee van Cleef and run him. He wasn't a Republican, was he?

Dean Wormer said...

Probably. He was an accountant before he was an actor according to IMDB. They're usually republicans, no?

Sergio Leone saved his career so that's yet another reason I have to love that guy.

pissed off patricia said...

The whole damned thing is so frustrating. Where is OUR voice in all of this? What about that part that says, "we the people"?

Dr. Zaius said...

The house has better odds. The senate is 51-49, with one Democrat still out sick. (A stroke victim.) You have been tagged. (My sincerest apologies.)

Dean Wormer said...

POP-

I feel the same way. I didn't think the Democratic take over of congress would be some sort of panacea but I mean, c'mon. They shouldn't be barking and rolling over for the executive.

Zaius-

Ah, but in this situation a "win" for us is to let the legislation expire. The simple majority is irrelevant.

Plus my larger point was how the roles of the two bodies have changed in this instance. The Senate isn't supposed to be passing emotional, spur of the moment crap. They're supposed to be deliberative.

And I've got your tag hanging. :)