Friday, February 08, 2008

I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.


A few weeks back Swinebread posted a list of possible blockbusters in 2008. Some of the flicks he listed I'm greatly interested in seeing but there also a few that didn't make the blockbuster cut that I'm still pretty excited about as a movie fan. Here's Dean's personal blockbuster list...

MOVIES I'M GOING TO SEE OPENING WEEKEND

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - There's a lot of trepidation about George Lucas rubbing his stank all over this flick and I still think the Frank Darabont script mess is ridiculous BUT I'm going to trust that Spielberg will keep the ship afloat. Plus the stuff that's leaked out sounds fun. Trailer on Valentine's Day so woohoo!

Hellboy 2 - The first one was a pretty damn good time, Ron Perlman is cool. Del Toro is a great director and my boy loves this character so there you are.

CJ7 - If you don't know who Stephen Chow is then you can't seriously call yourself a movie buff. Chow's signature mix of kung-fu, special effects, musicals and cartoons make his films one of the best times to be had at the cinema. Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are must sees.

CJ7 is basically a riff off of E.T. with all of the elements I mentioned above thrown in.



Son of Rambow - The darling of Sundance. Movies about the love of movies (Cinema Paradisio anyone?) usually find a soft spot with me. Throw in some British kids, a dysfunctional religious family and we have a winner.



Iron Man - Trailer looks good. Robert Downey Jr. usually isn't in boring films. Geeks are pretty jazzed. All signs point to "yes"

Star Trek - I could write a lot about this but let me just say that I absolutely adore the original series and am keeping my fingers cautiously crossed for this one. The most important thing that'll be the bottom line sink-or-swim is whether J.J. Abrams successfully captures the Kirk/ Spock/ McCoy relationship. In my book the "more retro the better" is the second most important thing. This film could move down my list.

MOVIES I'LL PROBABLY SEE AFTER OPENING WEEKEND

Wall-E - Pixar. 'Nuff said.

Adventureland - Greg Mottola who directed Superbad gives us a movie where a college grad gets a job at an amusement park and finds out it better prepares him for the real world.

The Incredible Hulk - Ang Lee's Hulk still leaves a bad taste in my mouth but the film has the advatage of Edward Norton being a huge fan of the comics and having a ton of creative control. You know what other actor was a huge fan of the comic he made into a movie? Nicolas Cage and Ghost Rider.

Be Kind Rewind - I like Jack Black and Mos Def and, from what I've read, this movie is getting good advance buzz.

City of Ember - Something to do with a city in the future losing it's lights but it has Bill Murray and Martin Landau so whatever the heck it's about I'm in.

The Dark Knight - The "Crow" factor of Heath Ledger may cause me to hesititate but the first Batman film was pretty damn entertaining.

The Forbidden Kingdom - Jet Li in an epic Kung Fu movie with magical elements.



The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - I enjoy these movies and this features a whole new mummy. Don't tell anyone but I'm a closet Brandon Frasier fan.

Valkyrie - Yes it has Tom Cruise but a movie about the true plot to assasinate Hitler has all sorts of win.

MOVIES I MIGHT CATCH IF THERE ARE RERUNS ON T.V.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. I won't promise HER involvement in the picture won't get me to the cinema anyway. Do NOT remake classics.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I'm a fan of the books and enjoy the movies but I can wait for video to see these.

Jumper - Good: Samuel L. Jackson, teleportation. Bad: it stars Anakin Skywalker.

Pineapple Express - Stoner comedy.

Semi-Pro - Will Ferrell plays basketball. It looks like he's playing the same character he always plays but that's probably enough.

X-Files 2 - I wasn't interested until I found out they're moving away from the mythology for this film. In my mind the best episodes of Chris Carter's show were the ones that had nothing to do with aliens.

MOVIES I WOULD TORRENT RATHER THAN SPEND A PENNY ON

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - The first film was okay but the death grasp the fundie set has put on these films is pretty off-putting. That might be a dumb reason to avoid a movie but it's MY reason.

Speed Racer - Loved the cartoon but the trailer creeps me out.

MOVIES THEY'D HAVE TO PAY ME TO WATCH

Fanboys - friends travel to Skywalker Ranch to steal a copy of The Phantom Menace for a dying friend. No doubt the friend keels over when he actually watches that crappy film. He gets Jarjar-ed to death if you will.

Get Smart - Loved the show and fondly remember that my dad was a fan of Maxwell smart but this movie just has stinker written all over it.

7 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

I personally would put the Harry Potter and Narnia films higher on my list, but your points are well taken.

Swinebread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randal Graves said...

Oh, Indy, please don't suck. As for The X-Files, come on, their best episode ever was The Erlenmeyer Flask, and Duane Barry/Ascension rules! Yes, I'm purposely ignoring the stupid faceless idiots. And I won't even talk about the last couple of seasons. Yeesh.

Swinebread said...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – I’ve got the same worries, hopefully we’ll get a good popcorn movie in the spirit of the original and not a bunch of crap.

Hellboy 2 – looks good, and with a more straightforward plot, how could it miss.

CJ7 – I’m gonna wait for the reviews

Son of Rambow – looks funny, and heartwarming but I’ll wait for the video

Iron Man – Iron man, Dim Sum, and Free Comic Book Day the trifecta!

Star Trek – Hmmmm I just have a bad feeling about this… I’ll have to see more trailers I guess.

Wall-E – Too Short Circuit looking for me

Adventureland – hadn’t heard of this one

The Incredible Hulk – This better be fucking good! I want She-hulk in the next film so this one has too succeed Dam it

Be Kind Rewind – news to me but it is Jack Black!

City of Ember – sounds eclectic and cool

The Dark Knight – I love how you say how Batman Begins is the first film, god, if it were only so… Heath wasn’t killed onset so I’m cool seeing it.

The Forbidden Kingdom – cable

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor – man, they missed the boat on this franchise, these could have been so much better but it’s fun ride I guess.

Valkyrie – No, no, no, this is a propaganda film to use the story of Claus von Stauffenberg to remake Cruise’s image.

The Day the Earth Stood Still – snore

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – I’ll read the book someday instead

Jumper – Wow! More CG

Pineapple Express – what?

Semi-Pro – video sometime

X-Files 2 – a little late right?

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian – didn’t see the 1st won’t see the second

Speed Racer – if I were in college, I would totally see this if you know what I mean

Fanboys – “Escape is not possible. Prisoners will report to the day room.” Android from Buck Rodgers TV episode 7.

Get Smart – it’s time to move on already

Dean Wormer said...

don-

Yep. Don't get me wrong - HP and Narnia won't be bad films. They're not Hottie or Nottie.

randal-

Those were good episodes but personally I'd go with the incestual hillbilly family of mutants as my favorite x-files.

swine-

Iron man, Dim Sum, and Free Comic Book Day the trifecta!

Dude I can't wait for that. I wonder if the missus can get the day off because I think she'd dig it as well even though she's not a comic book person.

tewethot said...

web link learn the facts here now check this site out great post to read find out here now try this web-site

Unknown said...

review replica designer backpacks find this Check This Out check my reference Balenciaga Dolabuy