Friday, January 18, 2008

I saw it! It's alive! It's huge!

Okay-

Star Trek Trailer - Short and sweet. Some people actually booed. Not a good sign for Abrams. He's going to have an uphill battle bringing respectability back to the franchise. Not worth the price of admission. However...
Cloverfield (No Spoilers) - The best two words I can think of to describe this movie are "fucking fun." It's been a long time since I've had this good of a time at the movies. I've tried to stay away from too much information as far as the flick is concerned by I did read a review that described it as a "roller coaster ride." I think that's a perfect way to describe the movie. Periods of tension interupted by terror.

It's also the perfect antidote to the bloody schlockfests that pretty much define horror these days. Not much blood but plenty of scares.

(Oh, and the monster wasn't the Stay-Puft man.)

J.J. Abrams - well done, sir.

7 comments:

Overdroid said...

Hmmm. Maybe I won't see it. SAG just sent me 3:10 to Yuma. I love SAG.

Randal Graves said...

Little bits o' blood? Boy, that might make writers try some plot and characterization instead of new ways to slice up a body. Hear that, ADD-addled young'ns, atmosphere!

Don Snabulus said...

Was the annoying Blair-Witch camera work from the Cloverfield trailer a factor in the movie?

Dean Wormer said...

OD-

See it AND 3:10. It won't dissapoint.

Randal-

Yeah, the teens in the audience didn't seem to enjoy it as much as me and my son did. I think they were expecting a monster movie. It's really not a monster movie.

Don-

The camera thing goes on through the whole film. Whether it bugs you is a personal thing. I thought it was much less intrusive than Blair Witch.

The other thing is the movie doesn't have a score which adds to the feeling that this is "found" film and anything could happen.

Overdroid said...

It was fun.

Swinebread said...

I liked it but the SO got sick from the shaking.

I beg to differ; it is absolutely a monster movie! Cloverfield is monster movie for the techie, modern age. It’s not a horror/slasher movie.

Dean Wormer said...

Swine-

I sort of saw it as a love/ quest story that happened to have a monster in it.

That is the monster isn't the main character, if you get my drift.