"I have thought for over a year now that Senator Russ Feingold will be Obama's VP."
I can't think of anything else that would shore up the progressive base of the party in the same way as picking Feingold for the VP spot on the ticket would. I know that for me personally Obama could make a pilgrimage on his knees to the blessed shrine of Saint Ronnie of Simi Valley and I wouldn't bat an eye if he'd tapped Feingold.
Pros of Feingold pick
- It would shore up a Democratic base shellshocked by the FISA flip.
- Senate voted 99-1 for the Patriot Act. Feingold was the one sitting senator who gave a damn about liberties.
- It would position a true progressive candidate for the 2016 election.
- McCain-Feingold. "My old pal John went very wrong after that as he now skirts the campaign laws rather than writing them."
Cons of a Feingold pick
- Rumor is there's some dirty laundry surrounding his last divorce.
- He wouldn't be in the senate any more and he's pretty much all we got.
- The Right would go apeshit. Actually this might be a "pro."
Oh please, oh please, oh please...