Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Has the planet gone mad? My brother, passion's hostage. I seek justice - denied! I shall not submit! I shall conquer! I shall rise!

Regarding the Sotomayor nomination-

Good. She looks like an excellent choice IMHO. I love that she chose law as a career because, in part, she was inspired by watching Perry Mason.

Conservatives have already thrown themselves on the floor and begun their tantrum. So far they're focusing on this.


"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," said Judge Sotomayor.


At the risk of offending my friends of faith I do have to admit that I'm occasionally dumbstruck when I step back and consider that fairly benign observations like the above referenced Sotomayor views are considered "crazy" in that they might inform her judicial philosophy, but the idea that the views of a judge based on the words contained in a 2000-year old book stuffed full of what rational people might consider the stuff of fantasy are somehow beyond reproach when it comes to potentially informing the decisions of such a judge.

It's a weird, weird, world.

9 comments:

Ubermilf said...

They would've had a temper tantrum at any choice other than Rush Limbaugh or Newt Gingrich.

They're behavior is what keeps me voting democratic even after democrats disappoint me. The alternative is just so unacceptable, I am willing to overlook areas in which I disagree with democratic politicians just to keep the right wing from taking/keeping power.

Don Snabulus said...

There isn't much there to block the nomination. Unless it comes out that she likes to step on kittens, the right is going to have to live with it.

Everything else is just theater. At the moment, it is all the GOP has to offer.

Lockwood said...

The right has a whole series of complaints over this choice, but they're all fatuous. She's not a rich white male... Nope. She's not. And when rich white males occupy less than 5% or so of positions of power and authority, I'll worry about it. She views "interpreting" law and worrying about establishing precedent for future legal decisions as essentially determining what the law means... duh. Look up the definition of "interpret." It isn't, and can't ever be, crystal-clear and perfect, but it essentially means determining what something means.

Temper tantrums seem to be the only option the Gopi Kuh-niggets have left.

ladybug said...

I'm with Snabby...this GOP outrage theater act is getting so old...the right-wing public seems to ignore the fact coulter/limbaugh/hannity are creative barkers whoring for money.


Alot of money.

Randal Graves said...

Plus the guy who played Perry Mason was gay. This is like the worst nomination ever.

I feel for you, old white men and all the obstacles you must overcome.

mwb said...

I haven't checked her details yet, but what little I've seen looks good.

Pissing off conservatives is just icing on the cake.

Comrade Kevin said...

Picking her was a strategic coup.

Life As I Know It Now said...

The republicans are determined to have hissy fits no matter who Obama chose. I hope their obstinacy bites them in the ass!

Dr. Zaius said...

I love The Addams Family! Did you know the original TV episodes are on Hulu right now?