Friday, April 28, 2006

It's a question of simian survival.

Those that know me know I'm not one to cry "racism" at the slightest turn of phrase but I have to say President Bush's statement today on the release of a Spanish version of the national anthem made me feel a little creepy:

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English," the president said during a news conference in the Rose Garden, "and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English, and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

......

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," he said. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us." (CNS News)


Intended or not once you begin to talk about preserving "our national soul" you're going to sound like a segragationist railing against "race-traitors" for those in interracial marriages.

The beauty of the melting pot that is America is you may not be able to identify all the ingredients that when into the stew to begin with but the final product will be a wonderfully diverse. America is more Paella than hotdog. Sad that Bush doesn't see that.

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

I, for one, am glad that Bush defines our national soul by invoking the language of the original inhabitants of this country: the English.

Anonymous said...

If he could speak English I might agree.

Anonymous said...

I love Paella.

Dean Wormer said...

Bawahahaaha!

You continue to misunderestimate The Decider at your own peril.

(Don- that was really, really clever btw.)