- The show was nowhere near as funny as I remember it.
- The show was very music-centric, with multiple musical guests and musical sets taking up about half the show.
- The show was very focused on the guests. When George Carlin hosted the first show he did five or six stand up routines during the course of the show. When Paul Simon hosted the show almost the entire show was taken up with his music and his reunion with former partner Art Garfunkel.
- In the first few episodes you barely see the famous cast of Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, John Belushi, etc.
- The bee thing still escapes me. The original sketch with the male bees pacing around a waiting room to see if the're going to have a drone, worker or queen is pretty lame. Did they keep bringing the bees back just because they had the costumes.
- OTOH Andy Kaufman singing "Mighty Mouse" is still pretty hilarious. He looks like he's going to crawl out of his own skin.
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Live, from New York... it's Saturday Night!
I bought Mrs. Wormer the first season of Saturday Night Live (75-76') for her birthday and we've been slowly working through watching the discs. A few impressions--