Sunday, May 28, 2006

You better shape up, Tiger or some hotshot Jap pilot's gonna flame your ass.

A special shout out to all those who served and defended this country but a special thought today for E.L. who proudly war the uniform of the United States Navy.

Until my dying day I won't forget him telling me stories of wading through the oil and bodies in damaged ships at Pearl just after the attack. A man who I'd never seen cry, teared up as he recalled prying open hatches and having the bodies of sailors tumble out. In all the years I'd known him he hadn't mentioned any of that but the last time I saw him it just came out. All of his wartime experiences.

I think he wanted me to remember. I think he didn't want it lost when he was gone.

It won't be. My kids and grandkids will know what E.L. did.

He will never, ever be forgotten.

No comments: